Saturday, July 31, 2010

Boiling Potatoes

It's "weigh-in" day, but I thought I would write before I go to Weight Watchers this time. I'm still hoping I've continued to lose weight this week, but I won't be surprised to find out I've actually gained. I'm on my period and I've been ravenous all week. I kept within my points every day except Thursday. I made a deliberate choice to eat a bag of cookies. I'm joking, I didn't eat the whole bag, although I really wanted to. However, combined with the glass of milk I drank with them, I went over by 12 points. That's really quite a bit considering I used up all my flex points for the week. I'll explain those some other time.

When I decided to eat those cookies on Thursday I saw myself as a boiling pot of potatoes. Perhaps there's a better analogy, but this is the one that popped into my head and made sense to me. You know how the pototoes get boiling really good and if you don't watch them or turn down the heat they boil over? Once they've hit that point and boiled over, you finally turn down the heat and they cook the rest of the way just fine. That's how Thursday was for me, it was my boiling over point. So I ate the cookies, I allowed myself to indulge, then I turned down the heat and I'm fine again. The problem is that if you let the pot get to the point where it boils over you have a big mess to clean up on the stove. So that's how I see it today. I might not have lost any weight this week, and possibly I've gained, but I'll just clean up the mess and get back to cooking.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh! Yesterday I heard a knock on the door and when I answered it there was a woman standing on our doorstep. She said simply, "I have your dog." She and her husband have had Cassie since the first day she was missing. They have loved her and half-heartedly looked for her owner. They finally saw one of our fliers we had posted and knew that she had people worried about her. I really think they had hoped they could keep her, but as soon as the lady saw the look on my face when she told me they had Cassie, she knew that we would want her back. I'm so grateful to have her back, but even more than that, I'm thankful that my prayers were answered to have her kept safe.  People are good.

1 comment:

  1. That Cassie is safe and home now is nothing short of a miracle in my eyes. That you saw your half bag of cookies as merely a small blip on the screen and now you are back on track -- that is pretty awesome too (sorry for mixed metaphors; no time to think). Yay D!!

    ReplyDelete