I was so excited to go to Weight Watchers and get weighed today. I don't have a scale, but I knew I had to have lost weight because I hadn't gone over my points. Aside from sticking to the plan, my goal for the week was to lose a point to eat. As you lose weight, you have less points that you can eat, and I was determined to lose one this week. That might be kind of a crazy goal, but loosing points means I'm losing weight, and I was really close to the line. So, I accomplished my goal, I lost 3.6 pounds. Now 3.6 pounds doesn't really feel like anything when there is so much to lose, but I'm being more realistic this time around.
I'm a product of the immediate gratification, disposable mentality that most Americans have these days. I'm aware of it, and fight against it, but it's still there. I want to be able to lose 200 pounds in six months, but realistically (I think), it's going to take a minimum of two years of steady work to get it off the way I've chosen. I'm okay with that. I want to look great, but at this point that's never going to happen without surgery. Even if I lose everything I need to, I'm going to have terribly baggy skin. It should be obvious that my appearance has never been a motivating factor for me.
There is so much I want to be able to do that my size and weight keeps me from doing. I'm constantly alert to my surroundings, gauging if I'm going to fit wherever it is I need to fit, if I'm going to break whatever I might be offered to sit on, or if I'm simply going to run out of breath and energy. I've been taking online classes through Utah State University, and I was excited at the prospect of transferring to UNLV and attending classes on campus, then I realized that I will have to deal with the possibility of not fitting into student desks. I know that some rooms will have tables and chairs, but I can't guarantee that every class will have a place for me to sit.
I want to be able to be active with my family. I want to climb rock walls with my sons, backpack down Havasu Canyon (and back up), run Crazy Bob's Bairgutsman with my sister (providing I can talk her into doing it again), and a plethora of other things that are daily activities that most people take for granted. I'm going to throw a party the first time I can sweep and mop my house without my back hurting or needing to stop for a break.
Hey Denise,
ReplyDeleteI had forgotten how much I enjoy reading your writing it is so engaging. I was so moved by your blog, I know the struggles you have had with motivation and I understand how hard it is to get started again. My brother Casey and I have been trying to motivate each other by weighting in every week and it is going okay but I have been thinking about going back to weight watchers again, you inspire me. I am so proud of you and wish I could be as strong as you, I envy your talents but you already know that. I count myself lucky to be your friend and thank you for sharing this with me. I love you
Syndee
I will be there for your sweeping mopping party! Congrats on your first week and the resulting weight loss and refueled motivation! You rock the casbah.
ReplyDeleteSyndee, you give me way too much credit, but I won't try to disillusion you here. You are an amazing woman, and I admire you so much. I too count myself lucky to be YOUR friend! Thank you for coming here and supporting me. I love you too!
ReplyDeleteCyn, so no comment on running the Bairgutsman with me some day?
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely I will! It would be my soul's delight.
ReplyDelete